Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Goa is for lovers


Goa is a real tourist destination for Indians from all over the country, as well as for many Europeans and some gulf countries like Israel. It's by far the smallest state in India and has the highest per capita income because of the tourism industry. It's got hot tropical weather all year round and palm fringed beaches, some nicer than others. The first place I stayed was perfection. The beach was called Benaulim. The huts were called The Blue Corner. I had my own little palm frond and bamboo hut right on the beach and the restaurant right there on the beach had some of the best food in Goa. I become friends with the guys who ran the place, especially my man Milton. They had a soccer ball there and every morning I'd wake up, go for a swim and body-surf and then hone my Ronaldino-like skills. It was the life relaxing in the shade, reading, swimming and eating. Went out with the guys a few times for drinks at night and Milton took me into town (Madgoan) a few times looking for lunghis. Really upset that I lost the photo CD that had the first days in Goa on it. Really wanted to post pics of the huts and beach. At low tide you could rent a bicycle and ride on the beach. Every couple of hours or so a guy would ride up and down selling ice cream, or a small family would set up a balancing wire about 8ft off the ground and while the mother or father played drums the daughter would walk the wire with stuff in her hands or on her head, a little entertainment. Everyone called Goa paradise. While talking to Sarab, one of the guys who worked at Blue Corner and who's also from Kashmir, said "If Goa is paradise, then Kashmir is Heaven." I going to see Kashmir someday. One day I rented a scooter and took a day trip down to a southern Goan beach called Palolem (thats where my photos pick up). It proved to be nothing like the guide booked had described it but the trip made up for it and got to play some more soccer with some guys down there. Took the beach road down rather than the highway and had the road to myself most of the time. On the way back I almost missed a turn I needed and while making it wide this old man jumped out in front of me making me nearly hit him. Was able to avoid him by swerving and when I stopped he came to me speaking what could have been a number of different languages, no English whatsoever. Through hand gestures I realized he wanted a ride and gestured for him to hop on. He must have been close to eighty, no front teeth. While riding, every now and then he'd say something I couldn't understand. As we came closer to Madgoan we went through a few small towns and had to slow down for rumblers (Indian speed bumps). When I was leaving the last small town before getting on the highway to Madgoan, I started to get a weird feeling and turned around to see he wasn't on the bike anymore. He must have jumped off somewhere when we slowed down. That or he fell off. I went back to the last town to look for him with no luck. First I was nervous, then I started laughing hysterically. I had a small pack on and was all up forward on the seat to give him room, and had no idea how long I'd been riding like that with no one on the back.
Another day I checked out of the Blue Corner and took a bus to Anjuna for the famous market they have there every Wednesday. This market was unreal. I would think I had seen it all, then turn a corner and there'd be a whole other football field sized section. There were people selling everything from spices and clothes to haircuts and massages. Vendors from Goa, Kashmir, and Nepal amongst others. Ended up going all over Goa and became a regular Goan in the process. Even got free taxi rides to places that would have cost a couple hundred rupies. Goa often reminded me of the places I've visited in Central America. Such a laid back style and vibe. I even caught myself a couple of times thinking in C. American terms. A few times I couldn't understand why One friend of mine didn't know another person I'd met when they lived or worked so close to each other. In Costa, everybody knows everybody. No stupid, this is India. Billions of people, not thousands. VIVA LA GOA!

This guy was aqua farming
Palolim's main road
Good boy, nice elephant
Goan countryside
Palolim beach

Portugese influence
She wasn't happy because I wouldn't buy any thing from her, but I did give her money to take her photo
He was selling homeopathic powders for whatever ails ya
Huge pachyderm, look at the big truck beside him

I offered to climb up but he insisted
Great building in Madgoan
Goan homies: Dull boy, Winey, Milton, Sarab, Forgot, Mahal
He wasn't happy with my presence, kept trying to charge, every time I'd run
Rice paddies till you die from it
Beautiful Goa


1 comment:

Where we are said...

i like the picture of you in the red M.C. Hammer pants....ohhh oh ohhho oh its hammer it time....but on the real we just got the best surf in the world at some place that i cant tell you about...but it was going off...travel well..pray for peace in the middle east.....be happy noah